Time management is a rewarding skill that takes you far and high in your personal and professional life. Therefore, time, a crucial aspect of life, deserves to be treated most respectfully.
It is organizing and planning how to apportion your time between different activities and the coordination of tasks to maximize the effectiveness of an individual’s efforts.
The Benefits of time management
- Better task management
- Higher productivity
- No stress level
- Better work-life balance
- Employees are more creative
- Happier at work.
Effect of poor time management
- Missed deadlines
- Poor work quality
- High-stress levels
- Work imbalance
Skills that help in managing time
- Ability to prioritize the tasks that you need to accomplish.
- Staying organized.
- You are effectively planning the task for the day.
- Strong communication skills.
- Clear goals.
- Ability to delegate tasks.
- Ability to handle stress positively.
Management tips to achieve clear goals
- Start by waking early- this makes your day longer and increases your time frame and productivity.
- Set SMART goals- Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bound.
- Good time-tracking software will set time estimates, tracks time spent on tasks, and maintain a record of every minute spent working on assignments.
- Important tasks should be done in the morning- time management and prioritization will go hand in hand. The point is to take up a time-consuming chore, accomplish it, and focus on other things.
- Discover your zone – discovering your flow or site can directly contribute to properly utilizing your time.
- Block distractions – Emails, phone calls, and social media messages are some common workplace distractions. Whenever you are working on high-priority tasks, put your phone on silent mode and turn off the data, this saves a lot of time and takes your efficiency level a notch higher.
- No multitasking – quality over quantity. Allocating a time frame for every task increases the likelihood of its successful completion.
- Take small breaks frequently to refresh and rejuvenate.
- Find inspiration from quotes, videos and audiobooks – instead of wasting time doing something unproductive, utilize the time to inspire yourself.
- Sleep at least 7 to 8 hours a day – sleep is a detrimental factor that could affect many things positively and negatively. You feel refreshed and rejuvenated when you get a sound sleep for six to eight hours, contributing to a healthy lifestyle.
- Do fewer but impactful tasks – taking up more than you can handle is never a good idea. Higher achievers and great performers do less but better. When you prioritize tasks, it gives you clarity and direction so that you can start working on things, save time, and be more productive.
- Use an online calendar to manage schedules, mark important dates and events, set up reminders, and create time blocks.
- Batch similar tasks together.
- Delegate or outsource
- Track your time.
Time management techniques.
The ABCDE method
A -most essential tasks that have to be completed at all costs to avoid the consequences
B – less essential tasks
C – tasks with no consequences.
D – delegate tasks.