Organizations and businesses are legal entities in different human endeavors and carry out its operation albeit environmental challenges both internal and external.
Internal problems consist of challenges within the organization which are largely within the organization’s control and the external ones are outside of them with which they have little or no control. Internal problems can be managed through its internal control policies and measures as laid down by management to safeguard the resources of the organization, while the external problems require a more systematic approach in contending them which may include some defined model.
Every organization has its corporate and strategic objectives in line with its vision which is embedded in the broad term of Profit and Non-for-profit organizations. Since the strategic objectives are the corporate reason for the business existence, whatever that stands as a threat to organizations not accomplishing these corporate goals must be dealt with in the right context and it is in the line with this that solving a business problem is a major task for managers of business and that is why organization employ competent hands within its management level to solve such problem.
The business environment is very complex and dynamic in nature and this affects organizational objectives posing a threat to its corporate existence. These problems must be solved to ensure it meets its objective and sustainability within its value chain and to preserve its immediate community and environment where it operates. Entities must continually keep in check to ensure non-deviance from their corporate goals and on this background that solving the dynamic business problem cannot be undermined if an organization must remain in existence. The heart of every organization is problem-solving to deliver value at every level to ensure the overall business goal is attained and these can be achieved with a well-trained state of the organization saddled with these problem-solving task
There are different models and approaches to solving a business problem but all can be summarized in the steps below as “The Art and Science of problems solving” and it includes:
1. Understand the problem on the ground: At the heart of solving any business, the problem is the understanding of the problem in the right context and this will involve careful study of the scenario as it concerns the business or organization in line with its corporate objective.
2. Identify the key problem: You must identify the problems to be solved through a careful root cause analysis by asking and answering the right question and the 6 Ws or the fishbone analysis can assist in the section of the course.
3. Identify the objective that needs to be achieved: Clearly define the objective statement of what needs to be achieved and there can be more than one as the case may be. These objectives must be specific and tailored to the problem that must be solved.
4. Devise different alternative potential solutions: Proffer different alternative possible solutions to the problem at hand and ensure these solutions are within the context of the problem, guided by the overall objective to be achieved.
5. Devise different criteria: These involve listing required criteria with which the above alternatives will be tested in line with the objectives/s to be achieved. These criteria can be in a level of preference or attached weighted numbers with which the alternatives can be tested.
6. Analyse each of the alternatives: These involve the actual analysis of the alternatives with the criteria. They will take a different form as the problem on the ground permit with the available information, it may be quantitative or qualitative in nature or might be the combination of both as may be required. These must be stated in clear and simple terms based on the stated criteria.
7. Make a decision: With all of the above analysis as presented, the decision must be made and recommended based on the best alternative shown. This is very key as it involves choosing the best course of action for the problem at hand.