Healthy Living is a complete balance of physical and mental health. Healthy living entails keeping up with a healthy lifestyle. Health is the state of physical and mental wellbeing and not merely the absence of sickness.
Importance of healthy living
Being in good health can have a positive effect on almost every aspect of life. Some of the major importance are:
- It helps you live longer
- It makes you feel better. It boosts your self-esteem
- It helps you reduce stress
- It helps you avoid and control addictions
- It reduces medical costs and helps you save
- It increases fertility
- Ultimately, it increases your life span
Steps to adopt to improve healthy living
The list of healthy living is inexhaustive as different strokes work for different folks. However, here are some established tips with results:
- Drink lots of water: Water is essential for our bodies to work properly. It removes waste and helps our brains function better.
- Get enough sleep: During sleep, our brains relax better. This helps our body and general health.
- Exercise: This helps reduce your risk of diseases. It also keeps you fit and flourishing.
- Increase your fruits and vegetable intake: This is good for detoxing your body. It also keeps you looking younger and fights diseases.
- Cut down on processed foods: The healthier your food intake, the better. The goal should be to reduce foods that contain preservatives.
- Avoid negative people in your life: A positive mentality is a key to a healthy lifestyle. You should always sever ties with people that cause you negativity.
- Quit smoking and reduce alcohol intake: I know I sound like a wet blanket. However, it is proven that excess alcohol and smoking have a bad effect on one’s health.
Importance of Mental health to healthy living
From our definition of health, we agreed that it goes beyond the absence of sickness. What this ultimately implies is that one may be free from sickness and still not be healthy. A healthy body is a foundation for a healthy mind.
Good mental health helps you enjoy life and cope with problems. It offers you a feeling of fulfilment of wellbeing and inner strength. Just as you are taking steps to maintain your physical being, you should not neglect your mental being. Both works together for complete and fulfilled health.
Some ways to maintain your mental health:
This is quite similar to steps for a healthy lifestyle but in addition:
- Relax and enjoy your hobbies
- Reduce stress
- Talk about or express your feelings regularly
- Develop new skills that make you happy and fulfilled
- Set realistic goals
- Find peace and incorporate a good spiritual life.
- Always stay with positive minded people
- Affirm yourself regularly with positive words
We know this important saying that health is wealth. What this means invariable is that you need to be healthy to enjoy your wealth. This role has to be intentionally played by you. You need to take responsibility and be in control. One has to take opportunity, capability and motivation to act in a way that positively affects your physical and mental wellbeing.