The full time Executive MBA

Happy Rugbere Written by Happy Rugbere · 2 min read >

When I decided to select a school to do my Masters in Business Administration (MBA), I had a long list of things that I considered. Top of the list was a program that would afford me the opportunity to spend time with my family, work on my day job as a political appointee, and also carter to the needs of my struggling business (nightclub owner). I was very happy when i realised that Lagos Business School had an Executive MBA program that held its classes on fridays and saturdays for the sake busy executives.

I am now two months into the program and I must say that I feel more overwhelmed by the 8 sessions I have attended, than all the full time 7-years worth of intensive grind in both my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees combined. Minus the demand of covering your case notes, which if I must add are quite voluminous, there is also the fear of constant deadlines and assignments which pile up at the speed of sound. I have contemplated dropping out 3 times already at an average rate of one and a half times per month. The only reason I have endured thus far is the promise of better understanding of business administration and management at the end of course.

The most disturbing part of my case is that I stay in a different city from campus and only get to watch the classes over my 14 inches laptop screen. I stare at other #EBMA27 executives in class and wonder if I am the only person that feels like the E in front of MBA27 was just a marketing stunt. The course practically takes 80% of my day while all other activities struggle for the other 20%. As an advocate of the Pareto Principle, I get to question my decisions as the unattended 20% pay for the entire MBA logistics and fees.

I have finally decided to commit to the program and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel. I have designed a well thought out plan to focus on being part of the Beta Gamma Sigma. If I am going to spend so much energy, time and finances on getting an MBA, I may as well ensure that I am recognised for something more than just another MBA grad student. I have written long emails to my boss, staff of my company and also to my wife explaining why I have seemed distant over the last couple of weeks. I am most grateful that i have built trustworthy relationships with my loved ones so they are all willing to support me with the program. My wife even got my mother to call me and encourage me.

So, if you are thinking about coming to Lagos Business School for an Executive MBA program, remove your mind from thinking it is some kinda adult education night school. Your intellect will be stretched farther than you knew it could. You will have to juggle a ton of things including those things that seem more important at face value. You may even like me and 7 of my other colleagues in class, contemplate quitting and getting back to life as you know it. All you do when these thing come to mind is to remember the saying of an old japaneese monk:

Heat purifies, ask the king’s sword to tell you about when it was just a piece of metal.


The Prince of Business

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: