”Each time we take other people’s interest into account, even if that entails some costs for us, the importance of other people for us becomes greater.”Elegido
As complex as man is, he will almost certainly choose to live in an environment that promotes his well-being. Organizations need to modify their human resource management systems in light of a better knowledge of human nature.
Listed herein are a few behaviors organizations can adopt to develop a more humanistic workplace culture –
- Participatory Management; The benefits of participative management range from greater productivity to a sense of belonging, pride, and passion. Man should not be forced or coerced into adopting decisions that are not in his best interests. ‘Each time we take other people’s interests into account, even if that entails some costs for us, the importance of other people for us becomes greater’ (Elegido, 2006, p. 25).
- Respect for the individual; Human beings have a strong desire to be respected since it reflects their dignity as a higher animal. Open door policies and first-name basis are two attitudes that promote dignity and respect in the workplace.
- Time management: Working overtime is not a guarantee of productivity. Working hours must be defined and personal time must be recognized in a humane workplace. For example, the covid-19 epidemic has resulted in huge changes in all aspects of life; corporations have let their employees to work remotely – a benefit, but also a major disadvantage because some companies fail to train managers to respect personal time. Managers may have ignored staff personal time by contacting to get work done at obscenely strange hours, based on the idea of “the comfort of working remotely.”
- Team work; Organizations should understand that team work allows for the collective pursuit of success which helps to change human behavior by ridding self-absorption. Human beings, having both rational and emotional attributions are far more likely to respond to change when they experience the consequences of a process as gratifying.
- Work life balance; There should be a balance between a person’s profession and their personal life. When men can participate in community engagement, spirituality, self-care, and other personal pursuits, they are significantly more likely to feel fulfilled as emotional and social beings.
There’s no way I’m going to close this post without offering advice on how the beloved MBA-20 can cultivate a humanistic perspective.
Dear friends, please learn to –
Develop your listening skills.
Be more emphatic.
Treat individuals with equal dignity.
Understand emotional intelligence and how to use it.
Be transparent – builds trust in the course of time.
Understand the concept of effective communication.
Develop a democratic style of communication.
Acknowledge individual effort.
Be open to accepting variety in terms of language, culture, and other factors.
Till the next read, keep safe! : )