Participating in an MBA programme in Lagos Business School, (LBS) is a dream come true for me. It alerted me to what it takes to be a responsible and effective leader. The school is designed to produce responsible and ready leaders to make a difference in society. It has executive and short-focused programmes that enable professionals to become experts in their preferred fields of endeavor. The learning process is mixed with the ability to apply classroom knowledge to business solutions. Students are exposed to business management practice through experiential project-based schemes and are to use business management theories in providing solutions to burning issues that may arise
LBS progammes are focused on developing social impact and sustainability outcomes, expanding their professional networks, and building leadership management skills. It provides support through mentoring opportunities aimed at providing practical guidance in making business and career decisions that are useful for personal and professional development. A learning process focused on team-based collaboration in which mini-group sessions are organized to balance theoretical learning with a practical approach.
The LBS facility environment is conducive to exchanging ideas and perspectives to effectively engage students in their learning process. The programme also focuses on leading students through the maze of alternatives and guiding them toward the best conclusion. Managers that pass through these programmes would have developed the necessary skills to be responsible leaders.
The success of operations in any organization hugely depends on the kind of leaders at the helm of affairs. Every business wants to succeed and so will take every possible step to have leaders that could be trusted to make the right decision. Leaders in such a category are called responsible leaders.
A responsible leader understands that their business can contribute to social problems or promote positive change. They will strive for the latter, even if that goes against conventional economic wisdom. Essentially, every decision a responsible leader makes should be guided by their purpose.
Responsible leadership is about making sustainable business decisions that consider the interests of all stakeholders. The shareholders, employees, clients, suppliers, the community, the environment, and future generations, are the stakeholders. It entails doing what needs to be done at the right time and following the right procedure. Setting priorities, acting on them, and following through to a successful conclusion. It is also about living up to the promises we make and taking full responsibility for our actions. Responsible leaders manage the time to accomplish set goals as well as take care of their commitments.
Today’s leaders need to deliver value in three key areas.
- Organizational performance: This is measured most often by short-term earnings.
- Continuous innovation: It is the seedbed for longer-term growth, often propelled by emerging technology
- Sustainability & trust: earned by attending to the interests of stakeholders.
Below are some elements of responsible leadership.
- Stakeholder Inclusion: Safeguarding trust and positive impact for all by standing in the shoes of stakeholders when making decisions and fostering an inclusive environment where diverse individuals have a voice and feel they belong.
- Emotion & Intuition: Unlocking commitment and creativity by being truly human, showing compassion, humility, and openness.
- Mission & Purpose: Advancing common goals by inspiring a shared vision of sustainable prosperity for the organization and its stakeholders.
- Technology & Innovation: Creating new organizational and societal value by innovating responsibly with emerging technology.
- Intellect & Insight: Finding ever-improving paths to success by embracing continuous learning and knowledge exchange.
Lagos Business School gives one the skill and ability to manage any organization and business portfolio effectively. The environment alone conditions one’s mind to strive for excellence. The more reason I will recommend the school to anyone close to me.