While a lot of people think that the work-life balance is about time management and allocation, I feel it’s about being satisfied with a successful or productive day.
Achieving all you set out to do in a day, whether it involves work, or your personal life is to me the onus of the topic. If I achieve a 90-100% success rate with my daily schedules, then I have great control over my work life.
Achieving a high success rate regularly is unlikely but making sure you work towards it, makes all the difference in the sense of fulfilment you would get.
(Marisa Sanfilippo, 2021) “In short, work-life balance is the state of equilibrium where a person equally prioritizes the demands of one’s career and the demands of one’s personal life. Some of the common reasons that lead to a poor work-life balance include:
- Increased responsibilities at work
- Working longer hours
- Increased responsibilities at home
- Having children”
How to go about achieving a well-balanced work-life
Below are some tips that have been a great help to me in balancing my work and personal life:
- Prioritize your everyday task. Do the important ones first, and delegate others if you can. Do not try to be a perfectionist with everything, you don’t also have to engage in everything.
It’s easier on yourself and your time if you learn how to not take up less-important, time-consuming tasks. For example, office gossip or some hangouts. Focus on rewarding things.
- Try to put in personal time in your everyday schedule. I think this has helped create an equilibrium with the activities of the day. Say going to the gym, taking a work, running errands, or attending an event.
It helps to have it on your calendar as you do for work and it’s easier to remember as you’d be getting notifications.
- Also, learn to be in the moment. It’s a good thing if you can multitask, but not at the expense of what you’re trying to achieve. If you at say a family function physically, but your attention is not there but somewhere else, it defeats the point of what you’re trying to achieve. You might as well be absent.
Let us remember that we are not just doing this for ourselves but also for our loved ones. So, when at work, pay attention to work; when at home, pay attention to the home.
- There is always a better way to go about a task with the way technology works now, please take advantage of it.
A lot of our daily life has been digitised but most time we seem reluctant to follow that route. If you are of this school of thought, discard it. Technology is here to stay, and we have free access to most of what we need. We need to learn to work smarter.
Results of a well-balanced Work-life
- Less stress
- A healthy lifestyle. Both physically and mentally.
- Helps improve and maintain your personal and work relationships.
- It helps develop your creative thinking
- It also increases productivity
- Remember happiness and fulfilment in our daily career is also a major outcome of maintaining a well-balanced work-life
Marisa Sanfilippo. (2021, December 03). Retrieved from Business News Daily: https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/5244-improve-work-life-balance-today.html