Please, what makes you think you cannot be better?
It is high time you stopped saying, “That is who I am”, “Just take me as I am,” and “That is just my personality, I cannot change who I am”.
No matter who you are and where you are at the moment, you can be better. The sets of people that cannot be better are those in the grave. Every living individual should aim at getting better every day.
What does it mean?
Being a better you simply means consistent positive improvements in every aspect of your life. It entails, taking on more responsibilities for yourself and for others.
I got some insights from a book that I just read. The title of the book is “Getting what you want” authored by Wallace Wattle.
The book mentioned briefly about evolution of animals and that it is generated by a force within the animal that wants to express more life than it can on the level it was.
The point here is the desire to improve must come from within. You must be conscious that you possess the ability to be better and in doing so, you will see yourself getting better every day.
Let us look at a typical example of how the computer has evolved and still evolving. The then mainframe computers were gigantic machines used to process data. However, it has developed over time into smaller pieces of equipment that are handy.
Furthermore, you will agree with me that the improvement is still ongoing. Have you ever imagined a world without development or improvement on what our primitive parents left for us?
There will always be room for improvement. You just need to have an open mind to feedback and learning.
Why does it matter?
- Becoming a better person lifts you up: If you get more proficient in your job, that means promotion which translates to a higher status and eventually more money. It makes you have more influence
- It builds resilience: Because your aim is to be better, no matter the obstacles and falls, you will keep moving until you get to your goal.
- You will feel good as a better you: Doing charity acts, improving your health (working out), and achieving a set target obviously will make you feel good about yourself.
Tips for becoming a better you
- Be growth-oriented.
- Identify your ideal self
- Work on your negative traits
- Be open to feedback.
- Be a role model.
- Be a better friend
- Be a better human to others
- Equip yourself with skills. Learn something new. Have an insatiable thirst for knowledge.
- Be adaptable and flexible
- Be coachable.
In conclusion, always take on more than you can handle. Yes, if you are always doing the same things, you will never develop anything. Challenge yourself by taking on more.
Aim for excellence. Expect nothing less than the best and live your life to the fullest.
A beautiful quote to remember: “We cannot become what we need to be, remaining what we are.” – Max Depree
Thanks for reading.