Hidradenitis suppurativa also known as the acne inversa is a chronic skin condition featuring lumps in places such as armpits and groins. It makes the skin lesions develop inflammations as a result of infected sweat glands.
Researchers have proven that most people with HS condition at first have no idea of what it is until they are properly examined by a Doctor(Dermatologist). Some person sees it to be mere boil that the believe that when they take antibiotic, it will disappear. HS appears like a tender deep nodule. Its first sign is often a painful spot that looks like a pimple or boil filled with pus. It often comes out in ones armpit or the groin area.
DOES IT KILL?
HS does not kill but its a cycle of flare-ups which comes with pains. There are periods an HS person can have clear skin with no inflammations or pains.
WHAT CAUSES HIDRADENITIS SUPPURATIVA? IS IT CONTAGEOUS?
HS is not contagious. The exact cause of HS is not known but expacts thinks that it is connected to hormones, genetic predisposition, excess weight and cigarette smoking.
HOW IS IT TREATED?
HS has a wide number of treatment plan but it depends on the level of ones HS level to be able to pick a treated plan. There are some treatment plans that are general. Treatment with medications, surgery or both can help control symptoms and prevent complications of hidradenitis suppurativa. Mild symptoms might be managed with a topical antibiotic in liquid or gel. People with severe condition might need to take antibiotics for months.
- Steroid injection are injected into the sores to help reduce swelling and inflammation. Hormonal pills are also use to put your hormones in check.
- Combined medical and surgical approaches help manage hidradenitis suppurativa.
- Surgery is an important part to manage the condition when a tunnel and bump (abscess) are present.
- A carbon dioxide laser can be used to make hidradenitis suppurativa sores go away. After this type of treatment, the sores are not likely to return.
- Laser hair removal can help hidradenitis suppurativa in the early stage.
- Maintaining a good personal hygiene and wearing cloths that are not tight helps in the treatment of HS.
Finally, there is no cure for HS but it can be well managed for life. Early diagnosis and treatment helps prevent the condition from getting worse and forming additional scars.