There are tremendous benefits to the installation of CCTV camera systems in school/learning. Apart from providing education to children, one of the main responsibilities of a school/learning centre is to keep students safe.
A well-designed school CCTV system will provide both teachers and students with safety. Those in charge of security in a school/learning environment have to deal with a range of threats.
The benefits of the school/learning centre CCTV systems have been divided into 6 key areas:
- Preventing anti-social behaviour
- Student safety
- Teacher / Staff safety
- Unauthorised access
- School shutdown
1. Preventing anti-social behaviour
Schools are often the victims of theft, vandalism, and other forms of anti-social behaviour.
When the schools are closed, shops are often targeted by thieves, touts often break in and cause damage to property and more. Anti-social behaviour also ranges from bullying, drug dealing, to alcohol-fuelled incidents.
2. Student safety
There are times when incidents requiring investigation occur. A well-designed CCTV system help track situations like these.
CCTV surveillance cameras can help spot trespassers attempting to access the campus from rival school/learning centre.
3. Teacher / staff safety
The right to work in a safe environment is expected especially in school and learning centres. Most school/learning centre in Nigeria only experience isolated incidents of crimes against teachers or staff.
In any case, an effective CCTV system can be designed to give teachers and staff peace of mind, knowing they have protection in place against threats.
4. Unauthorised Access
CCTV can be used in school/learning centres to monitor the threat of trespassing:
- CCTV should be pointed at all entrances and monitored for suspicious activity
- Students that engage with trespassers can be spotted and action taken immediately.
- Facial recognition softwares can be used to monitor for known criminals or gangs.
Access Control System is recommended to increase security and reduce unauthorised access.
The benefits of access control include:
- Restrict access with a simple key fob door entry system that can restrict access to staff and students only.
- Audio intercom and video door entry systems can help manage visitors flow.
There situations where emergencies can occur. In such cases, an evacuation is necessary to protect staff and students, CCTV systems offer a number of benefits:
- CCTV cameras are used to keep tracks intruders entering the school premises
- The school can be locked down to protect its staff and students the surveillance cameras have spotted an external threat,
- CCTV cameras can be deployed to spot anyone left in the building in cases of a fire and the need to evacuate.
- The security cameras can help track where these pupils go as they leave an emergency situation and become separated.
6. School shutdown
School are usually targeted and broken into by criminals during periods when they are closed.
When considering a school security needs, A well-designed school CCTV system should be provided to protect have high value equipment, such as computers, iPads and sports equipment left in schools.